Sunday, July 11, 2010

Hindsight

Tomorrow my baby turns five. Where did that time go? I am feeling especially melancholy about this birthday.

A few weeks back, I took my four children to the park in the middle of the day. The playground was filled with moms of the stroller set, deeply entrenched in the stage of sippy cups, diapers, and the hope of naps after a morning outing. I felt out of place with my four children -my youngest being at least 2 years from his last scheduled nap. I watched the other moms from my bench. Remember those days? A trip to the park consisted of helping your little one up the ladder, then down the ladder, changing a diaper on your lap, running one to the potty, and all the while trying to squeeze in a conversation with another adult. I wanted to run over to them and tell them and warn them that, yes these days might seem loooong but the years go fast. You will blink and these days , these long, long days when you think you will never be able to sit and relax while your children stay safe and entertain and feed themselves will be over and you will ache for those days when your struggles consisted of timing naps and potty training, and kissing boo-boos. Funny now. On their end they might envy me with my abilty to sit on the bench. And here I sit, looking at those moms, wishing for those simple moments at home with my little ones.

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this post? So true... it goes way too fast... I remember waiting for your sweet boy to arrive... want a half of sandwich?
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete