Monday, June 29, 2009

Nighttime Visitor

I really wish I had a picture. I don't. I am really sorry.
Since our move into the "country" (I don't know if you would call it the country since I'm five minutes from the store) we have had many encounters with creatures that we did not have in our former tract housing suburban neighborhood. Since we moved here 3 months ago, we have seen one rattlesnake, 2 gopher snakes, birds galore, coyotes, lizards and about 1,998,876 bugs. I am not a fan of bugs. We don't really get along. I think they are rude, showing up uninvited to areas of your home that guests just aren't supposed to go.
Well, last night I was awakened by my sweet 3 year old who had asked for a glass of water. So as I made my way down the hall, I came face to face with the largest, hairiest, scariest looking spider. He looked guilty for sure, like he was caught in the act of snooping around my house. Oh, sure, he tried to blend in, hoping I wouldn't noticed him. But really, even in my sleepy stupor, who could miss a ginormous, hairy, black spider sitting (hanging?) on your white wall.
We had a stare down for a few seconds as I weighed my options. But, my squeamishness would not allow me any further thought so I went and woke up The Man. Now, I am sure he was not prepared for the enormity of this spider because he has been summoned many times for much smaller creatures.
This spider did not disappoint. After, my husband saw the thing he very calmly said,

"Well, I better go get my shotgun."

Thank you honey.

We currently have the body at the taxidermist so we can have its bust mounted above our fireplace.

4 comments:

  1. Too Funny!!!
    What a great guy, killing that giant thingy!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, YOU are such a crack up!!you need to look on the computer to see what kind it was. i can't wait to see the mount on the mantel!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SPIDERS------EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! Patrick is definitely your hero!

    ReplyDelete
  4. uh, where you been girlie! Post something already!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete